Now that the sun is starting to peek through the clouds and thoughts turn to the summer ahead, it’s time to enjoy the best bit of organic living – cooking up a few tasty recipes for the family to enjoy!
Here are three simple, healthy dishes that should leave everyone around the table happy and full of the joys of spring. For the best taste (and healthiest, most nutrient-packed meal) buy local where possible throughout the season. Enjoy!
Organic Spiced Roast Lamb (Serves 4-6)
The classic spring dish for a hungry family, with a little extra spice to rid you of the last bits of winter chill!
- 1tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of allspice
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tomato
- 1 leg of organic lamb
- a sprinkle of salt and black pepper
For the sauce you’ll need: a tin of chickpeas, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce, 2 crushed garlic cloves and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Whizz the cumin, onions and spices together in a food processor with water to make a paste
- Cut out small slits into the lamb. Rub in the paste
- Marinate for an hour at room temperature and preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (or 200 degrees)
- After rubbing with salt and pepper, put your lamb in a roasting pan and then roast until it’s medium rare
- While the lamb is roasting, make your sauce. Simply place ingredients in a processor and whizz together until the consistency is smooth
Serve the lamb with the sauce on the side, plus new potatoes and a fresh organic green salad.
Organic Pea and Leek Salad (Serves 2-3)
This very simple salad is fantastic as an accompaniment to lunch, or you can beef the dish up with some potatoes and fish to make it the main event!
- 2 or 3 organic leeks
- 450g of frozen peas (cooked)
- a lemon (including zest)
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a glug of olive oil
- Slice leeks into chunks and then blanch for two minutes
- Quickly drain and leave to cool
- Tip leeks into a serving bowl and add the rest of the ingredients
- Toss well and serve
Easy Organic Asparagus Frittata
Make the most of delicious asparagus as it starts to come into season with this mouth-watering recipe.
For the frittata you’ll need:
- 1tsp good quality olive oil
- 1 sliced onion
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 lbs of fresh asparagus, cut diagonally with ends removed
- 4 large eggs (lightly beaten), a cup of grated cheddar cheese
Heat the olive oil in a pan and add onions. Cook until onions starts to brown, then add the asparagus and cook on a medium heat for seven minutes.
Add eggs and cook until almost set. Add cheese and then put mixture under grill until cheese melts. Serve in slices with a green salad on the side.